The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field. But while he was sleeping, his enemy came and sowed also weeds resembling wheat among the wheat, and went on his way. So when the plants sprouted and formed grain, the weeds appeared also. And the servants of the owner came to him and said, Sir, did you not sow good seed in your field? Then how does it have weeds in it? He replied to them, An enemy has done this. The servants said to him, Then do you want us to go and weed them out? But he said, No, lest in gathering the weeds resembling wheat, you root up the [true] wheat along with it. Let them grow together until the harvest; and at harvest time I will say to the reapers, Gather the weeds first and bind it in bundles to be burned, but gather the wheat into my granary. (Matt 13)
I am convinced this parable is about the church today.
I grew up next door to a wheat field. There were always weeds among the wheat but you couldn't tell the difference until the wheat started to sprout heads. Before the heads of grain show, the weeds and the wheat look so alike it is impossible for the average person to tell the difference. I think this is exactly what the church has been like. It's been filled with lots of people who look like Christians but aren't. And it is nearly impossible for the world to tell the difference, in all honesty most who call themselves Christians can't tell the difference. Currently, it seems the bar for being accepted as a Christian is simply saying you are one. But Jesus said some interesting things to help us determine who is really his. Jesus said,
- Unless you repent of your sin you will perish. (Luke 13) - Repentance is NOT simply remorse. It is a change in direction, a resisting of the pull of sin. If you don’t resist, you haven’t repented.
- You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. (Matt 22) What does all your heart look like in your life?
- Love your neighbor as yourself. The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments. (Matt 22) It is impossible to love your neighbor with out loving God. And love does not mean approving of sinful behavior beginning in your life.
- If you love me, obey my commandments. (John 14) Does your adherence to Christ show that you love him?
- We will recognize his followers by their fruit. (Luke 6) A true follower of Jesus can be recognized by their fruit because their lives have been transformed by the work of the Holy Spirit?
I have noticed something very interesting taking place in the church recently. The church seems to be splitting into 2 distinct camps. Those that are vigilant about following the traditional word of God and wanting to purge sin from their lives and those that say sin doesn't matter, it's all about love. I believe this is the beginning of the separating of the wheat and the tares.
If you a man who claims the name of Christ it is time to evaluate your relationship to Jesus and prepare for what is coming.
Fight! Every. Day.